Some interns from the EU decide either to stay on in Brighton and Hove after completing an internship or return later.
If you are thinking to do the same read this helpful procedure below.

Requirements for working in the UK for other EU students

EU Passport holders (and Swiss) work under the same conditions as UK citizens.
Most students working in the UK will get taxed at a rate of 20%. (You are able to claim tax back once you leave the country if you stayed under the personal allowance of £10,000 per year.)
Tax rate                             Taxable income above your Personal Allowance
Basic rate 20%                 £0 to £31,865
Most people start paying basic rate tax on income over about £10,000 but this often increases each year.
Minimum wage
Legally from October 2015 you are guaranteed a minimum wage of:
–  £3.87 an hour – if you are under 18
–  £5.30 an hour – if you are between 18 and 20
–  £6.70 an hour – if you are 21 and over.
This will increase in the next year. We advise that you do not under any circumstances accept cash-in-hand jobs without a contract.

Getting a National Insurance Number

What is a National Insurance (NI) Number?
Your National Insurance number is a unique personal number allocated to you that is used to identify you to HM Revenue & Customs and the Department of Work and Pensions. It ensures the Government correctly records any contributions you are entitled to, or which are paid into your NI account.
Your National Insurance contributions go towards the UK social security and state pension system. The NI covers for example any jobseeker’s allowance or state pension that you might claim at some point in your life. Everyone who works in any capacity in the UK needs to register for an NI number.
Your contributions towards your NI are deducted from your wages by your employer.
How do I get my National Insurance number?
If you are looking to work in the UK you need a National Insurance Number. Once you have a job offer your employer will assist you with the application for the number. If you have the right to work in the UK, you will need to telephone Jobcentre Plus on 0845 600 0643 (lines are open 8.00 am to 6.00 pm Monday to Friday) to arrange to get one.
What happens when you apply for a National Insurance Number
Jobcentre Plus will arrange an ‘Evidence of identity’ interview for you or send you a postal application. If relevant, they will confirm the date, time and location of your interview and what information/documentation you need to support your application.
What to expect at the ‘Evidence of identity’ interview
The interview will usually be one-to-one (unless, for example, you need an interpreter). You will be asked questions about why you need a National Insurance number, your background and circumstances.
You will also have to prove your identity. Bring as many ‘identity documents’ (originals, not photocopies) as you can to your interview, for example a:

  • valid passport (UK or foreign)
  • national identity card (UK or foreign)
  • residence permit or residence card including biometric immigration residency documents
  • full birth or adoption certificate
  • full marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • driving licence (UK or foreign)

If you don’t have any of these – or other – identity documents you still must go to the interview. The information you are able to provide might be enough to prove your identity.
During the interview a National Insurance number application form will be completed and you will be asked to sign it.
 What happens next?
If you were asked to provide additional information you will need to do this by the agreed date. Jobcentre Plus will write and let you know whether your application was successful and, where appropriate, tell you what your National Insurance number is.
If relevant, tell your employer your National Insurance number as soon as you know it.
Receiving your National Insurance number card
When you get a National Insurance number, you’ll normally get a plastic National Insurance number card too. This may take up to 12 weeks from when you applied for your National Insurance number. The card is a useful reminder of your National Insurance number, but it is not proof of your identity and you don’t need one to start work. It’s the National Insurance number itself that’s important.
You can find more information on
Job Centres are government agencies that will help you find work and can arrange your National Insurance number:
Brighton                                                                            Hove
Windsor House                                                                  Boundary House
30-35 Edward Street                                                         Boundary Road
Brighton                                                                               Hove
East Sussex                                                                          East Sussex
01273 647400                                                                     01273 368100
There are many more Jobcentres all across Brighton, so you will always be able to find one close to where you live. Check for details.

More Information
Home Office: 01142594074
Euro Adviser: 02075064019
Please note that this information is as correct as we can make it but if you find or believe it is wrong please let us know. 

This website uses cookies and asks your personal data to enhance your browsing experience.